Saturday, June 19, 2010

Baby Carriers

There are a variety of designs out for baby carriers. It makes it hard to decide. These are three of the different types.


This is the Moby Wrap, cost around $40.
Pros:
Variety of ways you can carry baby
Price isn't too high
When baby is really young I can keep him snuggled close

Cons:
I've always thought with slings how easily a baby could not be getting enough oxygen
Seems like I would be wearing a whole other shirt, making me all the more warmer
Could be complicated/time consuming getting me and baby all wrapped up



The Ergo, cost around $105
Pros:
Love that it has a waist band, so baby's weight is there instead of all on your shoulders
Can do front, back and side carrying
Pocket would be nice to be able to put just a few things in
Can be used baby to toddler

Cons:
Price, would also have to buy a newborn insert costing about $38
Baby can only face in



The Baby Bjorn, cost varies Pro:
Baby can face in or out
Popular, so easy to find at a consignment store in great condition

Con:
Weight of baby is all on your shoulders
Lots of snaps and straps, easy once you know it, but still


Now which to choose.....


We did go to Babies-R-Us today and found a carrier where baby can face in or our and there is a waist strap. Maybe that is our answer.

4 comments:

  1. I vote for the ergo! If you are taking votes...The Bjorn is nice for about 2 months, but honestly once the baby gets heavy it just kills. Plus, the baby hangs so far away from your body when you bend over or anything that I thought it really limited mobility. Since you can do a side or back carry with the ergo I really haven't minded the no facing out thing. The ergo is comfy and I still use it with Luke, Cade even fits!
    Can't speak to the moby, but my cousin loved it (she was a sling-addict though, switched to that for her fifth kid cause she was having shoulder problems.
    Happy Shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use the Baby Bjorn, and it's pretty slick, Levi likes facing out and it's nice for going to the store. The one con I can see for long term benefits is that it only goes up to 25 pounds. The Ergo can carry a lot more if I'm not mistaken. I've never gotten into the Moby, but tried it a few times. A friend is going to loan me her Ergo, I'll let you know how it goes. Happy shopping!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have the Snuggie, which I think is similar to the Baby Bjorn. I never used it much though, it was always easier for me to keep baby in the carseat bucket and pop that right into the stroller. LOVED my Graco travel system stroller/car seat combo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the Bjorn. And you are right about the wraps that hold the baby really close...while it's nice, there have been some horrible cases out there of babies not getting enough oxygen. Of course it's few and far between, but even having the risk scares me. We used the Bjorn for a good 2-3 months, but she grew out of it quick (got too heavy and wanted to be more independent in her stroller)....wished we wouldn't have spent $100 on it since we really didn't use it that long. Happy shopping/finding!

    ReplyDelete