Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Elk Report

be thankful I didn't put a picture up of it skinned

The verdict is in on the elk, he is some good eats. We got 300 pounds of meat from him. Which we plan to both enjoy and share. Could you imagine if we tried to consume that much meat. I think we would get tired of elk (or at least I might).

For Christmas with my family they came to Bend the weekend before Christmas to celebrate. The menu for our Christmas dinner was,

Elk roast
Mashed potatoes
Asparagus
Corn casserole
Sourdough bread

Dessert: Iced Christmas cookies, russian tea cakes and peanut butter balls

The elk was good, we all agreed that it was just a tad dry, still really good though. It was probably only a little dry because it was my first time cooking with elk and just didn't know how it cooks. Next time will be even better.


We were up at C's parents for Christmas weekend with most of his extended family. There we had the elk ground, and cooked it up as taco meat. He was good that way too. Still eating and enjoying the leftovers of that.


Though if I am to continue to cook, eat and enjoy this elk I probably should stop referring to it has he and him. Don't really want to relate my food to a living animal. I don't refer to beef as a bull, steer, or other such bovine. Or when I talk about chicken and I don't picture a live chicken running around. So, from now on I need to think of the elk has just meat, not this big animal roaming the woods. So the verdict is the elk meat (or maybe just the meat) is good.

1 comment: